I just found this online after a parent asked me for recommendations for equipment. She isn’t sending her two kids under 5 to camp this year, and needs some ideas to turn her backyard into a fun place to spend the summer. This is the Little Tikes Magic Flower water table.
Why do I love this one?
Watch their video on Amazon and you will understand! But before you do, here are my reasons, as an occupational therapist, for recommending this water table:
- Multiple levels mean that children of different ages can both have fun.
- Multiple ways to explore helps kids take turns without having to choose between “the fun thing” and the “barely OK things” on the water table.
- The animal theme works for lots of kids. Not everyone likes pirates. Or even understands pirates.
- It is big enough to have at least 2 kids playing at the same time, maybe 3.
- They include 2 duckies (who doesn’t love duckies?), 2 frogs, 3 turtles, a fish, and three pouring choices. I hate tables where you STILL have to go out and buy stuff to make it fun. This table is “one-and-done”.
- All of my clients with low tone and hypermobility that can stand will be motivated to do so; there isn’t really any way to lean on this water table. They can stabilize by holding an edge, but they cannot drape themselves over it. They will be bending and reaching. A lot. That is a good thing. But be mindful of the heat Helping Children With Low Muscle Tone Manage Summertime Heat
- Kids that use a wheelchair or need to sit while playing due to mobility issues will still be able to have fun with their friends and siblings that can stand and bend. This water table is inclusive.
I really hate sand tables. You would think that as an OTR, I would love them.
Nope. Sand gets everywhere. In clothes, in body folds, everywhere. Kids get sand in their mouth and in their eyes. It tracks into the house unless you shower your kid outside, and maybe it will be found inside even then. Sand is a pain in the neck.
As long as you empty your water table and hit it regularly with some soap or a diluted bleach solution to keep it clean, it is much easier on everyone to have a water table rather than a sand table. This one is going to be a lot of fun!
Need more ideas for fun this summer? Read The Preschool Water Arcade Game You Need This Summer If Camp is Cancelled (and maybe even if it isn’t) and Doing OT Telehealth? Start Cooking (And Baking)!