My clients know that I use therapeutic music called Quickshifts and Gearshifters in many pediatric therapy sessions. They use binaural beat technology (Binaural Beats and Regulation: More Than Music Therapy ) to induce an alpha brainwave state. This is the brain’s calm-alert state. Due to the unprecedented stress we are all under, I am using them myself. Every day, twice a day minimum. Here is why:
- I am no good to anyone if I am vibrating with anxiety. There is only so much breath work can do for me. I need brain work.
- The calm-alert brainwave state that Quickshifts and Gearshifters rapidly induces is effortless. Turn it on, (they can be purchased and loaded onto your phone through the free Therapeutic Listening app) wear the headphones, and it works perfectly without me doing anything else. I do have to stay off the screen stuff, but then, I should anyway. Mostly I take a walk (alone) or crochet.
- I love music. Most of us do. I need music. Most of us do. I won’t listen to some droning boring sounds if I can listen to fun music instead. Quickshifts have children’s music, classical music and gentle techno music that isn’t aggravatingly boring.
- The effects of altering brainwave states boost my immunity. And there has never been a better time for it.
- I can bring it with me on a walk, so I get a double dose of healthy input.
- It isn’t tiring or distracting.
- I could use it more often than 2x/day. There is no danger or downside, unlike modulated music. Modulated music is a workout for your brain, and using it too close to bedtime can be a challenge. Quickshifts and Gearshifters are designed for anxiety and even trauma recovery. This pandemic is a trauma if I ever saw one.
- I can use it alone at home. No one is getting massages, going to psychotherapy, or getting acupuncture. There is no neurofeedback machine in my house. I couldn’t go anywhere even if I wanted to. Enter Quickshifts.
Quickshifts and Gearshifters are best used when selected for a client by a trained OTR. Listening to the wrong album will not damage you or your child, but it is a waste of money and time. Two things most of us are running out of right now.